Individuals from other countries may want to seek employment in the United States. They may be able to do so. First, they have to make sure they are going through the proper process to ensure they are documented. Before entering the country, they will need to acquire a work permit. This can be granted by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. Some foreign nations can fill out a I-765 form. This application will request permission to work in the United States. However, this may only be granted for a specific period of time. Individuals should make sure they do not exceed this time period.

What is an L-1 visa?

An L-1 visa is different from other ones because it is reserved for an employee in a specific position. These types of visas are only for immigrants who are taking on a managerial or executive role. The individuals could also be using this visa if they are equipped with essential or expert knowledge. With an L-1 visa, individuals can have some support when applying for permanent residency in the country.

What are investor visas?

Investor visas are another type of employment opportunity for those who want to enter the United States. They allow investors to enter the U.S. to be self-employed. These visas facilitate trade between the U.S. and treaty countries. If you are granted access to this visa, you can bring your family into the country with you as well. This will put your family in the same category as you when you are admitted into the U.S. Also, it will make your family eligible for employment authorization while the investor visa is in effect. These E-1 and E-2 visas last 5 years and may be renewed every 5 years if you continue to qualify for it. If you and your employer both find an interest in changing your status to a lawful resident of the United States, a PERM visa may be an option for you. This will grant you a green card, allowing you to live and work in the U.S. without a specific period of time stated.

The Law Office of Neal Richardson Datta has over 25 years of experience guiding clients through a variety of immigration legal matters, some of which include deportation defense, petitions, and waivers. If you require the services of an experienced immigration attorney with the skill to effectively represent you, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.

Read Our Latest Blogs