Student Visa Attorney in NYC

The United States is well-known for its academic institutions. People from all over the world travel to the country to earn a degree from our prestigious schools. Students who wish to come to the United States to temporarily study will need to obtain a visa. The type of visa depends on a few factors, including the type of school and the course of study. If you wish to come to the United States to study and get an education, it is important to have an effective attorney on your side, helping you through the process, contact our firm. The Law Office of Neal Richardson Datta is an experienced law firm located in New York City. We handle all immigration matters. We have a significant amount of experience helping students obtain visas to study. Though the process seems straight forward, there are many factors that can impact a person’s eligibility and admissibility to the U.S. Contact The Law Office of Neal Richardson Datta to discuss your situation and get the assistance you need.

Eligibility and application

To be eligible for a student visa, an applicant will first need to apply and be accepted by a Student and Exchange Visitor Program approved school. Once accomplished, the applicant can apply for an F or M visa, depending on the school, and file a form I-20. The request for a visa may need to be done through an embassy, consulate, or online. Knowing which visa to apply for is important. A B visa is for short stays of recreational studies. An M visa is specifically for a vocational school or other recognized nonacademic institution. An F visa is for most other schools, including:

  • University or college
  • Private elementary school
  • High school
  • Seminary
  • Conservatory
  • Language training program
  • Other recognized academic institutions

 The interview

A student visa applicant may need to schedule and attend an interview. The requirements vary depending on age. Those who are either under 13 or over 80 are usually not interviewed. For those that are required to be interviewed, it is important to gather certain documents. Some documents that may be required include:

  • A passport that will be valid through the stay and 6 months past it (with some exceptions)
  • A Form DS-160 confirmation page (nonimmigrant visa application)
  • A photo unless attached to the DS-160
  • A certificate of eligibility for an F-1 or M-1
  • Form I-20
  • An application fee receipt

In addition, the applicant may be required to provide documents related to his or her academics, including:

  • Diplomas
  • Degrees
  • Certificates
  • Transcripts
  • Standardized test scores

Even further, an application may be required to declare his or her intention to leave after schooling and evidence of how they will afford schooling, travel costs, and housing.

Contact The Law Office of Neal Richardson Datta

If you are a student that wishes to study in the United States, it is important to discuss your options for a visa and get an attorney that can guide you through the process. Even though you have been accepted to a school, you still could be vulnerable to inadmissibility and other factors that can jeopardize your ability to travel here for an education. If you need our help, contact The Law Office of Neal Richardson Datta to discuss your legal matter.

Read Our Latest Blogs

  • When does the 3-10 year bar go into effect?
    Read More
  • Who qualifies for the O-1A visa?
    Read More
  • What steps can I take to get a student visa?
    Read More