When individuals from outside of the United States wish to enter the country to gain an education, they may be able to. By gaining a student visa, they can attend selected schools in the country to further educate themselves. This can present more opportunities for them in the future. After having a student visa, they may be presented opportunities to stay in the U.S. for employment. They can then take the necessary steps to adjust their visa and gain one that is employment-based.

Before filing for a student visa, individuals must make sure that the school they wish to attend is approved by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program. Once someone decides on a school that is approved, they will have to apply for an M or F visa. These visas differ depending on the school that they are intending to attend. An M visa is for vocational schools or other recognized non-academic institutions. THe F visa is for most other schools. These schools can include university or college, private elementary school, high school, seminary, conservatory, language training program and other recognized academic institutions.

Do I have to go on an interview?

An interview may be required for the applicant to attend. However, if the individual is under 13 years old or over 80 years old, they may not have to attend an interview. Before attending an interview, it is important for individuals to gather the proper documents. Some documents to bring with you can include a passport that will be valid through the stay and six months past it, a non-immigrant visa application, a photo, a certificate of eligibility for an F-1 or M-1, the I-20 form and an application fee receipt. The applicant may also be required to bring proof of their academic studies. This can include standardized test scores, transcripts, diplomas, degrees and more.

The interview can be a nerve-wracking time for individuals. They may be nervous about their applicant status. Applicants should make sure to gather all the documents that may be required. They can provide proof of their education through additional documentation. By being prepared for the interview, it can help ease their stress. To prepare for these scenarios, the counsel of an immigration lawyer can be very helpful. They can provide you with information on how these processes usually proceed. Their experience can lead you through a smoother process. It can give you the support that you need.

The Law Office of Neal Richardson Datta has over 25 years of experience guiding clients through a variety of immigration legal matters, some of which include deportation defense, petitions, and waivers. If you require the services of an experienced immigration attorney with the skill to effectively represent you, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.

Read Our Latest Blogs

  • When does the 3-10 year bar go into effect?
    Read More
  • Who qualifies for the O-1A visa?
    Read More
  • What steps can I take to get a student visa?
    Read More